1. Deliver a performance, rather than a speech. Think beyond the words you’ll be saying to use performance tools such as inflection, gesture, tension, resolution and suspense.
2. Use the power of eye contact. ”Bill Clinton was a master of eye contact—watch any of his speeches, and you’ll see the master at work,” writes OPEN Forum contributor Mike Michalowicz.
3. Don’t hide behind the lectern. It’s a crutch, Michalowicz says. Moving around will keep your audience engaged, and will make you appear more accessible and open.
Read on for four more tips for effective public speaking.
Reading fiction can be as valuable to your business as reading a business book. It can:
1. Inspire more creative thinking by introducing you to new ideas,
2. Boost your intellectual curiosity and
3. Help you refocus your priorities.
Read on for a few great pieces of fiction to add to your reading list.
Recent studies, articles and books have done away with the age-old myth that introverts were shy and ineffective in social situations. Introverts are actually a great addition to any team because they’re typically great listeners, writes introvert and OPEN Forum contributor Erika Napoletano.
While extroverts might be hopping from conversation to conversation, we’re much more interested in digging into single concepts and details. We’ll hear you out (as you go on and on and on) and are incredibly adept at summing up a whole pile of thoughts and feelings into concise summaries.
Read two more reasons why introverts are excellent employees on OPEN Forum
For more, read small-business expert and entrepreneur Brian Moran’s “5 Things I Wish I Had Learned as a Young Entrepreneur,” on OPEN Forum.
Flickr user: Vernon Chan
Question 1. How much money is the back-to-school shopping market worth?
a. $2.4 billion
b. $10.5 billion
c. $72.5 billion
d. $112.3 billion
If you answered c, you’re correct! Your small business should cash in on this profitable season to heat up your summer sales.
Read more on back-to-school shopping season on OPEN Forum.
From “6 Ways to Get Your Business Mojo Back" on OPEN Forum.